Sarajevo through HistoryAustro-Hungarian period › Konak
Konak
Konak
Konak is an Ottoman governors’ residence built in 1868 in Late Baroque style during the rule of Topal Osman Pasha, an Ottoman vizier. It was built on a site of the former Konak (tur. saray – court; 15th c.) to which the city owes its name.
Location: Old Town
During the Austro-Hungarian occupation the building was adapted for the needs of the government and the military. From 1878 to 1918 the Konak was the residence of the Habsburg family, and during the Yugoslav Republic (1918 to 1941) it was used by generals, governors and district-prefects, and many politicians from around the world.

The Austro-Hungarian Emperor Franz Josef resided in Konak during his visit in May, 1910. Franz Ferdinand, the Austro-Hungarian Archduke, died here after he was fatally wounded by Gavrilo Princip’s shot on June 28, 1914.

Today, it is a state residence used by the members of the Presidency of Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Other related objects