European JerusalemCatholic Sacral Monuments › Church of St. Joseph (Crkva sv. Josipa)
Church of St. Joseph (Crkva sv. Josipa)
Church of St. Joseph (Crkva sv. Josipa)
Church of St. Joseph at Marijin dvor was built just prior to the Second World War, in 1940. Construction began in 1936 and was initiated by the Archbishop Saric, who established the St. Joseph’s Parish at this site.
Location: Centre
The church was designed in Neo-Romanesque style with walls made of beautiful Herzegovinian white stone. The square in front of the church is named after Karl Pařik who designed the church. It was his last master piece designed in a shape of a Latin cross and three mullioned windows. It resembles a simplified structure with each element articulating symmetry and balance in perfect symbiosis with the surrounding area.

Stained-glass kept in the church are real objets d'art, especially those depicting St. Peter and St. Andrew, but were unfortunately severely damaged during the 1992-1995 war. The interior is a two-nave construction and a parochial museum in a crypt with two sacristies, two oratories, and a splendidly decorated marble altar (gift of Pope Pius XII).