Sarajevo through HistoryOttoman period › Hanikah
Hanikah (perz. hanikah – Dervis tekke) was built in 1531 as a rectangle-shaped building with 14 study rooms and simahana (room used for a dervish religious ritual called "zikr”). It was a beautiful atrium edifice with pillars, inner yard and a fountain.
Location: Old Town
The Hanikah was severely damaged in frequent fires that struck Sarajevo in the past. It ceased to exist in 1931, when a new Madrasah building was erected. It was rebuilt in 2000. The present-day edifice is a replica of the old one, with the exception of a glazed roof which was added.


Other related objects