Sarajevo through HistoryAustro-Hungarian period › At Mejdan
At Mejdan
At Mejdan
In the past this area was known as the Sijaset mejdan (tur. siyaset – punishment), a trade slave square and a place where death penalties by hanging were executed. The name At Mejdan derives from a later period after a horse market and hippodrome.
Location: Old Town
A mosque and a maktab (Islamic primary school) were built on this site in the 16th century, and a madrasah and a library in the 17th century. With the arrival of the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy, all the buildings were ruined (19th c.).

The Music Pavilion with a cafe designed by Josip Pospisil was erected in 1911. The pavilion was surrounded by a wonderful tiny park with walking paths and benches. Holidays were always announced with a brass-band playing at the Music Pavilion. The Pavilion was destroyed during the Second World War bombing in 1941, and was restored into a small park with a cafe. The old Muslim graveyard was renovated as well and a small mosque built at the site of a former mosque.

In this area, Isa-Bey Ishakovic, a founder of Sarajevo, built his administration seat, a court to which the city owns its name (tur. saray – court; ovasi – field) in 1454/1455. At the end of the Ottoman rule, they started building a barracks in 1854. The barracks was completed in 1856 and it has been used as such ever since.

Other related objects